ALERT – CLOCK IS TICKING Warning: SCE has implemented “District-Based” Default Install Deadlines
First Up - Ojai & Camarillo Delay Install Customers Must Opt-Out By 19 June or Be Smart-Metered
- Full Blast - Smart Meter installation is continuing at warp speed throughout the state.
- 2 Step Process? Opting-Out has two parts, if you took advantage of Delay Install: (1) Calling Delay Install, so you didn’t get smart-metered while the PUC was deciding on the Opt-Out Plans and (2) Informing your utility company that you are Electing to Opt-Out and agree to the PUC’s Decision.
- Step One - Delay Install - is over, done and kaput.
- It’s time to Opt-Out.
- What is a Default Install Deadline? It applies only to Delay Install customers. They must Elect toOpt-Out on or before a certain date. How? (a) By returning the Application included in their Opt-Out Notice Certified Letter or (b) by calling 800.810.2369. Otherwise, the Delay Install customer will be deemed to have changed their mind about Opting-Out and, thus, approves being smart-metered.
- Where’s Your Opt-Out Notification Letter? – It depends on where you live. We are informed that SCE has implemented a “per district” Opt-Out Notification Plan.
- How It Works - SCE’s new Notification Process is based on the area where the installers will be next - initiating or returning to “complete” smart-metering.
- 19 June Deadline - As this time, Delay Install customers in Ojai and Camarillo area have been sent Opt-Out Notification letters. They have until 19 June to reply or they will be automatically smart-metered.
- Are you next? According to SCE reps, there is no schedule yet for what “district” will be next. No information about this is on the SCE website.
- Prevention - Rule One: Keep the Smart Meter off your home. While all Opt-Out Plans allow you to opt-out at any time, you could wind up waiting some time to get a smart meter removed.
- Do it Now? – Given the nature of the SCE process, it would be prudent and reasonable to suggest that everyone on Delay Install call 800.810.2369 and Opt-Out now. Please make noteof the Employee’s Number and date & time you called. Ask for a Confirmation Number. They have said no, but we are on a mission for consumer rights.
- Precedent? - The PUC consented to one default deadline (of May 1) in the PG&E area. However, PG&E was vigorous in notifying their customers, beginning within a week of passage of the Opt-Out Decision. Their efficient process included robocalls and certified letters and the convenience of being able to fill out an Opt-Out Application on their website. (All of which CPA is requesting from the PUC.)
- What is CPA doing? We have already filed a legal challenge regarding SCE’s inept, consumer-unfriendly Opt-Out process, and we are researching additional action.
- Complaints? (a) Join TURN at www.turn.org. (b) You may also (a) call Mr. Harold Williams, who is in charge of smart meters at the Consumer Advocate Bureau (CAB) of the PUC. Call 800-649-7570 (not a direct line) and/or (c) write to PUC Commissioner Michael Florio; CPUC; 505 Van Ness Avenue; San Francisco, CA 94102. He is assigned to smart meter issues.
- Donations? May be made directly to Mr. James M. Tobin; Tobin Law Group; 1100-D Mar West Street; Tiburon, CA 94920. Please designate that it is for the CPA Legal Fund.
Thank you for your support
Consumers Power Alliance (CPA) is putting power back into the hands of consumers. Donations should be sent directly to Tobin Law. Find the mailing address on our webpage:
Consumers Power Alliance (CPA) is a public benefit association dedicated to the ongoing education, representation, and protection of California consumers. CPA participates in the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) regulatory proceedings and other related activities.
No doubt I'm singing to the choir writing to our group, but just in case you haven't heard...
FYI...here's the latest re. smart meter opt-outs. Bear in mind, if you choose NOT to opt out or NOT to request that the utility company replace your already-installed smart meter with your home's old analog or non-smart digital meter, you may never have the chance again. Not only are the utilities
deadlines, but word has it (among groups fighting for our rights) that the old meters will be destroyed by the utilities in short order.
I received my opt-out notification letter today. SCE is doing everything possible to put a positive spin on the Edison SmartConnect Program.
Declare your liberty while you can. And alert your friends and neighbors. (Please remove my name and e-addy if you forward.)
Subject: Red Alert | Urgent to Ojai & Camarillo | RE: SCE Default Deadlines | June 19 | FAQs & Act Now | CPA Bulleti